Alternatives to UDP packet forwarder on Raspberry Pi based gateway

I am trying to allow my gateway (Raspberry Pi(4, Debian 12) w/ WM1302) to talk to my Chirpstack server I have set up on my local Linux machine. I can get the two to talk with the Semtech Packet Forwarder provided in the docs for the WM1302, but I am trying to use something else that doesn’t require UDP, as I have had some trouble convincing IT to let us open a port for UDP. I am wondering if anyone else has had any luck with a similar setup?

I am considering whether setting up a gateway bridge on the same Raspberry Pi and pointing the packet forwarder to it would be a good idea or not, or if it might be easier to edit the Packet Forwarder source code and recompile to use something other than UDP.

Thanks in advance!

Definitely easier to use the Gateway Bridge or MQTT Forwarder, thats what they were built for. I’m using Multitech Gateways and have the Gateway Bridge installed on them working great. I’ve never set it up on a Raspberry Pi but I’m certain it would be easier than trying to recompile the packet forwarder.

2 Likes

If you’re starting fresh (and it sounds like you are), I’d recommend the MQTT Forwarder running on-device. The Gateway Bridge is good, too, just uses more memory.

2 Likes