What uplink / downlink limitations does LoRa Server implement / enforce?

i start work with lorawan on ttn, but its completly terrible… The message sends after delay 2 minutes… Thats insane!!!

hope im free to send uplink and downlink anytime i want… Loraserver.io is free to send up/down right?

thanks

LoRa Server is an open source free of charge project.

You only need to install and mantain the server.

TTN imposes a fair use policy in order to comply with duty cycle limitations, particularly in Europe. As they provide a public network for thousands of users, that’s a simple way of assuring that LoRaWAN’s restrictions are met. Loraserver does not impose any use policy (nor it could, really, as it’s open source and you implement your own network, so you could always remove any limitation), but that doesn’t mean that LoRaWAN’s limitations (check some duty cycle notes here) don’t hold. Have in mind that those restriction vary depending on the band and/or zone, and that some modules have it integrated in their firmware while others don’t.

In summary, loraserver won’t impose any restriction on you, but you may be limited by hardware or regulations.

2 Likes

i just use lmic so is this normal? looks familiar delay as ttn :slight_smile:

I’d guess it is lmic related as at work we easily send uplinks every 15 seconds with some test nodes and loraserver works fine, but haven’t tried lmic myself, so maybe someone that has can give you a better answer.

Are you using EU868? The Duty cycle is around ~120 seconds per packet, this is implemented by software in LMIC

yed friend its eu868, how can i change that 120 seconds to anytime i push send?

im using ttgo arduino esp32 sx1276 unit, so any arduino code for your sample?

Sending all the time in EU is illegal, you have to use either Duty Cycle or Listen before talk if you are using EU868.

Some modules let’s you turn off duty cycle for testing purpose. But that depends on the implementation of the module / firmware. You could try to find the duty cycle limitation in LMIC and turn it off.

there is no data on lmic page, which lmic lib c file should i mod?

We don’t use lmic, but taking a quick look at the source code in https://github.com/matthijskooijman/arduino-lmic, it seems that these functions (the ones specified for “EU868 related stuff”, as they are also available for other bands) calculate tx times using duty cycle information:

static void updateTx (ostime_t txbeg)
static ostime_t nextTx (ostime_t now)

Check their definition here and here.

oh im happy to hear new things, so if you not use lmic, whats good for arduino node?

same time im using single channel things4u repo for gateway, is there any better node for arduino?

thanks for share btw

Sorry, we don’t use Arduinos either, we have our own custom nodes which carry a RN2903A lorawan chip and and ATMEGA324 microprocessor.

Neither do I.
I use a Rising HF module with a saml21.

Hi guys, I’m testing the LoRa Server for six months now. We are just using some nodes with temperature and humidity data. But, something happens when the uplink frame counter is 65535 the device stop working, so we delete the device on lora server and add a new one with the same config. Then its working again but again when its uplink frame counter to 65535 its stop working …Its a uplink counter limit? We are trying to find the reason on the code. But if someone has passed for the same problem, please help us! TKS!