LoRa Server Architecture Diagram

Looking at the diagram, I want to confirm that this represents the architecture that you have programmed. My question relates to the use of both MQTT and gRPC in the diagram.
Am I to assume that both protocols are active in the architecture of LoRa Server?
Is gRPC the same as GRPC as labeled in the diagram.
There are two instances of MQTT broker, is that really what is in use, or was it more expedient to lay out the diagram this way and there is only one instance of MQTT broker?

Just for reference (also for others), I think you mean the diagram here: ChirpStack architecture - ChirpStack open-source LoRaWAN<sup>®</sup> Network Server.

Is gRPC the same as GRPC as labeled in the diagram.

That is probably a typo, but you’re right that gRPC and GRPC are the same (both should be gRPC).

There are two instances of MQTT broker, is that really what is in use, or was it more expedient to lay out the diagram this way and there is only one instance of MQTT broker?

The two MQTT brokers could be the same broker, or could be two. That is up to you. The data is already divided by topics, so there is no interference between LoRa Gateway Bridge and LoRa App Server when using the same MQTT broker.

Thank you for the response/clarification.

To make sure I understand, gRPC is the communication technology used between the Gateway Bridge and the LoRa Server, between the LoRa Server and the LoRa App Server.

Optionally, if required, an Application in the cloud can use gRPC to communication with the LoRa App Server.

Many thanks for the pointers and help.

I think there’s a mistake in the architecture diagram and communication between lora-gateway-bridge and loraserver is only done over MQTT, not gRPC. You are right about the rest though, gRPC is used for communication between loraserver and lora-app-server, and any application may communicate with lora-app-server through the gRPC and REST apis. Moreover, there are HTTP, MQTT and InfluxDB integrations available for lora-app-server. See this.

The gRPC between gateway and LoRa Server was because of the LoRa Channel Manager component. This has been deprecated :slight_smile: I’ve update the diagram.