Error: node-session does not exist or invalid fcnt or mic

Dear LoraServer

I finally connect arduino+lorahat device as end node to loraserver using LMIC Libarary,

now i got the problem, when i try restart/reset the arduino, i cant connect again to loraserver
i got error message like this :
Nov 14 05:28:29 server loraserver[1794]: time=“2017-11-14T05:28:29-05:00” level=error msg=“processing rx packet error: get node-session error: node-session does not exist or invalid fcnt or mic” data_base64=QBER3QCALAAB1OtpIs8eqDXYSh7kiDdp

i read some source, that i have to delete the node from appserver and add it again, after that the device connect again, but when i try to restart the device, the problem came back with the same error,
can anyone help me to solve this?

there is a timestamp when i restart device and add it again later,

Downlink error after publishing with mosquitto
Lora app server experience significant delay in publishing lora node messages
ABP,mote power off,need reconfig

Are you using ABP? Then probably the issue is that by restart/resetting the Arduino, you also reset the frame-counters at the device. Because of this, LoRa Server rejects these frames as it could as well be a replay-attack. To work around this, you could check the Disable frame-counter validation box (on ABP activation).

Thanks @brocaar, I solve this problem… :slight_smile:

Missing downlink message

What need to be step to solve this kind of issue if we are using OTAA node?

Same issue here. Using ABP too. Disabled frame counter, created a new node…

I always get device session error :frowning:

Probably then your keys are setup incorrectly. A common mistake is the byte order of the keys. E.g. in some cases you have to configure them in the reverse order.

Yes I have already tried to reverse the order of my keys, still emits device-session error. Not too sure where else to look at.

Can you help in my case?
I’m using a simulation of a gateway to send packages.
I’m using the VirtualBox Machine which send me to my loraserver(my local machine) with my pc IP address in MQTT, but I also see the same error:

jul 18 10:36:28 diogo loraserver[3971]: time=“2018-07-18T10:36:28+01:00” level=info msg=“backend/gateway: rx packet received”
jul 18 10:36:29 diogo loraserver[3971]: time=“2018-07-18T10:36:29+01:00” level=error msg=“processing rx packet error: get device-session error: device-session does not exist or invalid fcnt or mic” data_base64=“QIMrJgcAAAAByP/0r6/DmDEfUWU=”

IN MY VIRTUAL MACHINE THIS IS THE INFO OF THE PACKAGE:

teste@teste:~/loraserver-device-sim/example$ go run uplink_example.go
Connection established.
Publishing:
{“phyPayload”:“QIMrJgcAAAAByP/0r6/DmDEfUWU=”,“rxInfo”:{“channel”:0,“codeRate”:“4/5”,“crcStatus”:1,“dataRate”:{“bandwidth”:500,“modulation”:“LORA”,“spreadFactor”:8,“bitrate”:0},“frequency”:902300000,“loRaSNR”:7,“mac”:“b827ebfffeb13d1f”,“rfChain”:1,“rssi”:-57,“size”:23,“time”:“2018-07-18T10:36:27+01:00”,“timestamp”:1531906587}}

Hi Brocaar, I have already checked the “Disable frame-counter validation” but still getting this error, I am using the latest test release. I am using LoPy as node. Any other workaround ?

Thank you,

Bnjroos

You can split the error in three parts:

• device-session does not exist: no such activation exists for the used DevAddr
  • invalid fcnt: the frame-counter did not increment (e.g. replay attack)
  • invalid […] mic: the message integrity code was invalid, meaning that your session-keys are setup incorrect

In the latest case, make sure that some devices use different byte orders when entering the keys. For the LoPy, you can find some examples here: https://github.com/brocaar/pycom-examples.

Hi brocaar, thank you for your answer, I found my issue, it was the selected LoRaWAN version for my device that was incorrect, how dumb of me.

Hello everyone !

Unfortunately, I got the same error: e[31mERROe[0m[3402] processing rx packet error: get device-session error: device-session does not exist or invalid fcnt or mic e[31mdata_base64e[0m=gIMaASaAAQAEbtljyaCtnLD5.

I think it is related to the session keys.

Can you help me to understand if I filled them correctly? Thanks a lot !

Hi ,

Does any one get the same error after leave the node(device) for long time(about two month) without power then restart it ? I meet this situation for many times, every time I need to delete this device(Using ABP. Disabled frame counter) and recreate it again.Does any one know how to fix this issue?Thanks a lot!

If you are in ABP, FCnt are not synchronized between node and server. It is normal (security reason : replay attack). So yeah, you have to delete and recreate the node each time. Or use OTAA.