Compatible Repositories for Lora Gateways and LoraNodes combined/compatible with LoraServer and LoraAppServer

@glederer007 thanks for the reply…i used it and have a little problem with the configuration of ports, in global_conf.json…do i use port 1863 of MQTT Broker or 8000 of Server? Or each of them?

First of all, are you running the LoRa Gateway Bridge / Lora Server / Lora App Server combination on the same Raspberry that hosts the iC880A-SPI - LoRaWAN Concentrator?

About global_conf.json: If you look at https://docs.loraserver.io/lora-gateway-bridge/install/config/ , you will see that by default LoRa Gateway Bridge uses port 1700 with UDP protocol to communicate with the packet forwarder. That means the packet forwarder (its global_conf.json file) needs to have these values set:

"server_address": "localhost",
    "serv_port_up": 1700,
    "serv_port_down": 1700,

Of course, if you have the LoRa Gateway Bridge on a different machine, you have to change localhost to whatever address that machine has.

If you post your global_conf.json, I can have a look at it.

1 Like

Goodmorning from my country @glederer007!

I intend to run Lora Server,Lora App Server (+Mosquitto,Postgresql and Redis) to a host and

ICA-SPI-LoraWAN Concentrator + Lora Gateway Bridge to another host (a rapsberry PI).

I agree with:

in global_json.conf,
but in a same named file in IC880A-SPI, i remember that,is a file with the same name (if i have not a confusion)…so my question,is if i have to change port configuration in IC880A-SPI conf file also?!?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I still don’t understand your question. If you will have the LoRa Gateway Bridge on the same raspberry as the iC880A (the SPI- LoRaWAN Concentrator), all you have to do is:

1. Install all required components,
  2. Modify the local_conf.json file to set the identity of the gateway,
  3. Modify the global_conf.json file as I wrote before (to point to the LoRa Gateway Bridge),
  4. Modify the /etc/default/lora-gateway-bridge configuration file on the Raspberry to use the MQTT Broker on the another machine running it.

I think that is all and it will work.

@glederer007 your answer made it clearer in my mind.

As you have install,modify and run all these in Lora Server, could you please confirm the below installation steps:

1. As i mentioned, i intend to use two hosts, let’s say A and B:

2. In host/pc A i will install Lora Server,Lora Api Server, Mosquitto, Postgresql and Redis

3. in host/Raspberry B,which will be used as the gateway, i will install IC880A-SPI Gateway Library (by Loranet or TTN), Packet Forwarder, Lora Gateway Bridge and possible Lora Channel Manager.

I believe that the sequence of my thinking and steps are in the right order,yes?

@nikospps Yes, that should work.

1 Like

@glederer007 thanks for the patience and valuable informations!

I will have feedback, with the post of global_conf.json and the results of simulations!

Kind Regards,
Nikos.

I created another topic, but i didn’t have any answer. In order to install Packet Forwarder in Rapsberry (which will be used as the gateway), i just use git clone installation?

Thanks in advance.

Hello @glederer007 again!

I made whatever said to me, and i changed in configuration file of lora-gateway-bridge:
[backend.mqtt]
server=“tcp://IP_where_mqtt_broker_is_installed:1883”, but i can’t establish communication between loraserver and lora-gateway-bridge.

Do you believe that is better to make all lora installation (loraserver,lora-gw-bridge,lora-app-server,mqtt,postgresql,redis) in Host A and only packet-forwarder and concentrator in Raspberry PI?

Your answer will be really helpfull.

Thanks in advance,
Nikos.

Hello @nikospps, I think the best configuration is the one that Orne has highlighted in bold in https://docs.loraserver.io/overview/architecture/ (the first “base station” in the left). That is each gateway has its own lora-gateway-bridge that communicates over MQTT with a server that has loraserver and lora-app-server running on it.

Of course if you have only one gateway (built on a RPi) there is nothing against having all components on the same gateway (on the RPi).

Your answers are really helpful every-time @glederer007.

I post this https://forum.loraserver.io/t/configuration-of-lora-gateway-bridge-toml-file/881 and also this about https://forum.loraserver.io/t/error-will-retry-in-2s-pq-password-authentication-failed-for-user-loraserver/272/26 the connection that i didn’t achieve connection between loraserver and lora-gateway-bridge.

My question:I have to install mosquitto and mosquitto clients in both in server PC (lora server and lora-app-server) and RPI 3? all this has to do with lora-gateway-bridge.toml file. I have to configure it (mqtt broker) as localhost or the ip of the pc,where mqtt broker is installed?

There is the point,that i have a confusion and try to solve it.
Your opinion?

I will try to answer your question. I assume that you have Raspbian on the RPi 3 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Linux) on the PC.

The RPi (the gateway) will have at least:

1. a (fully installed and running) packet forwarder
  2. the lora-gateway-bridge
  3. the packet forwarder needs to be pointing to the the local port where the lora-gateway-bridge is listening for UDP messages
  4. the lora-gateway-bridge needs to connect to the MQTT broker running on the PC, for this you have to set the necessary parameters on the configuration file of the lora-gateway-bridge
  5. there is no need to install Mosquitto or Mosquitto client on the gateway.

The (Linux) PC will need at least:

1. Mosquitto broker (or as Orne wrote “any MQTT broker implementing MQTT 3.1.1 should work.”).
  2. PostgreSQL database to store persistent data, at least version 9.5 is necessary.
  3. Redis database to store non-persistent data, at least Redis 2.6.0 is required.
  4. LoRaServer.
  5. LoRaAppServer.
  6. You need to set up some parameters on Mosquitto, loraserver and lora-app-server, like certificates, passwords, ports, etc. There is information about this on loraserver.io, but most of it is set automatically at the initial installation.
  7. Mosquitto client is needed if you want to test receiving or sending messages from and to end-nodes.

I hope I didn’t forget anything.

1. I have the same setup in Linux PC and RPi 3, except the fact, that Mosquitto and Mosquitto Client are also installed in RPi 3 (both in linux PC and RPi). This may cause the problem,while i try to declare the gateway in Loraserver it can’t be seen as active, despite the fact that has communication with packet forwarder. I will make a clean format and re-installation to RPi tomorrow.

2. As i understood, (loranet) lora gateway (https://github.com/Lora-net/lora_gateway) is not appropriate to be installed, JUST packet forwarder (https://github.com/Lora-net/packet_forwarder).

3. By the way, you gave answer to my post https://forum.loraserver.io/t/configuration-of-lora-gateway-bridge-toml-file/881. Mqtt server that has to be configured in gateway-bridge conf file is the IP of Linux PC and NOT localhost, as it supposed mqtt broker and lora-gateway-bridge run in different hosts (Linux PC and RPi)?!?

Thanks @glederer007 for another time for your support and your patience to my questions!

Yes, the “heart” of the system is the MQTT Broker that handles the message flow. Usually this “sits” on the same server that hosts the loraserver and the lora-app-server. And since the gateway and its lora-gateway-bridge is on another server, the lora-gateway-bridge needs to connect to the MQTT Broker “sitting” on this server (the one that hosts lotaserver and lora-app-server).

Goodmorning from here @glederer007! Thanks to your advise i finally achieved the connection between lora-server and lora-gateway-bridge.

It seems that everything is OK (except GPS that, as i gave manually my Gateway’s coordinations)…i might have to configurate it.

Next step will be to create a new application, after connecting a node which will send (and receive data).

I would like to ask you, if you know of course and @brocaar also, about the restrictions of this (private) use of loraserver? I mean that there are a lot of restrictions in TTN for example and i would like to know about these, using Loraserver.

Thanks for everything til now again!

I think all you have to obey to is the regulations of your own country. That is transmission airtime, power, etc.

I created a related post https://forum.loraserver.io/t/loraserver-downlink-uplink-traffic/883 about the issue.

Hello @glederer007. I have the same issue in another post, but is relative to this one.
I try to see data payload.
I asked about HTTP Integration.

I also try to use mosquitto_subs and encounter below issue:

Have you ever face this before?

@nikospps please help keep the forum clean. There is already a topic covering MQTT connection issues: https://forum.loraserver.io/t/connecting-to-mqtt-broker-failed/440/4

Excuse me @brocaar for this. By the way i searched this link and refers nothing about the issue of mosquitto_subs.

Maybe, i have to open a new post