Can't find LoRa Server components Log files in Gateway OS Full

Hi all,

Currently i’m running the LoRa Gateway OS Full version on my RPi.
I’ve followed the installation guide and all components seems to be working.
All the services seems to be running in order when in check these with the “sudo monit status” command.
LoRa Server status : OK
LoRa packer formwared status : OK
LoRa gateway bridge status : OK

For debug purposes I want to view the log files for all the LoRa Server components:

• Gateway bridge
  • LoRa Server

i’ve edited the **.toml config files to set the debug level to 5 for maximum debug output.

I was under the assumption that i could use the following page to guide me to the log file of for example the LoRa Gateway Bridge: https://www.loraserver.io/lora-gateway-bridge/install/debian/

There is stated that i could view the log files by 2 means:
Take a peak at : tail -f /var/log/lora-gateway-bridge/lora-gateway-bridge.log
or use systemd: journalctl -u lora-gateway-bridge -f -n 50

The journalctl command is not found within my command line so this one i couldn’t use.
In the /var/log/ directory no log files of either one of the LoRa server components can be found.
See screenshot below for my /var/log directory.
_var_log

Could anybody help me with enabling / finding the log files for the LoRa Server components?

Thanks in advance,
Arjan

LoRa Gateway OS runs on devices that are memory constraint and running on flash memory. Logging to files would either wear out the flash pretty soon or potentially let the gateway run out of memory when it would write logs to a tempfs.

If you want to see the output logs, you need to run the components manually from the CLI.

1 Like

If you want to see the output logs, you need to run the components manually from the CLI.

Could you please explain this? Thanks in advance!

sudo /opt/lora-app-server/lora-app-server

The same applies for loraserver and lora-gateway-bridge (/opt/loraserver/loraserver …).

Thank you very much! but I noted two things:

1. After those commands the proceses stopped runing? (I was able to see the log lines) at least lora-packet-forwarder
  2. I see a few lines of logs… I guess I should see more lines, should I start the process manually to see the whole log?

First of all, make sure that the process that you are going to start is not running in the background (sudo monit status loraserver) if it is started, stop it (sudo monit stop loraserver).

should I start the process manually to see the whole log?

Yes, and that is exactly what the commands in my previous comment are doing :slight_smile:

I guess this will be helpful to someone so I will try to explicit all the “process” to log the processes :slight_smile:

lora-packet-forwarder:

1. sudo monit stop lora-packet-forwarder
  2. cd /etc/lora-packet-forwarder
  3. sudo /opt/lora-packet-forwarder/lora_pkt_fwd

lora-gateway-bridge:

1. sudo monit stop lora-gateway-bridge
  2. cd /etc/lora-gateway-bridge
  3. sudo /opt/lora-gateway-bridge/lora-gateway-bridge

lora-app-server:

1. sudo monit stop lora-app-server
  2. cd /etc/lora-app-server
  3. sudo /opt/lora-app-server/lora-app-server

loraserver:

1. sudo monit stop loraserver
  2. cd /etc/loraserver
  3. sudo /opt/loraserver/loraserver
4 Likes

i dont have a folder like opt or lora related folders inside etc folder…

1 Like

i think i have the same problem

This might be what you are looking for? https://www.chirpstack.io/gateway-os/use/log-files/